Grape: 70% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella, 5% Sangiovese
Region: Valpolicella, Italy
Family Allegrini was involved in winemaking at the Corte Giara since 16th century. Today, Marilisa and Franco – and until 2003 also their brother Walter (who passed away unexpectedly), are carrying their ancestor’s art of wine making and the experience passed on them from generation to generation.
I had the honor to meet Ms. Marilisa Allegrini few years ago when she hosted a wine tasting of her family’s wines. I know how very passionate and hard working this family is when it comes to their wines. Most of the wines produced in Valpolicella use a Ripasso method. Allegrini family didn’t hesitate to invest into a brand new facility to innovate drying naturally, yet eliminating high risks that may occur when drying grapes outside.
I am proud that I worked for a wine distributor, that was the first who ever introduced Allegrini wines to the Connecticut wine market.
Grapes for Allegrini Palazzo della Torre came from the family vineyard of the same name. What is the most interesting about this wine is the wine making process. 30% of grapes were picked first to be dried until the end of December. The remaining 70% of grapes were harvested in October, de-stemmed and gently crushed, than fermented immediately. In the January the dried grapes were added to the young wine and it naturally provoked a second fermentation.
Wine than rested in oak barrels for another 15 months, bottled in 2009 and aged another 7 months in the bottles, before released to the market. Quite a labor with one wine, isn’t it?
This Ripasso method gives the wine a super silky, rich fruit expression, and extra body, balance and unique flavors. Palazzo della Torre can easily age for another 10 years. I just had 2006 vintage (the current release) and I must say – compare to what I remember, this wine is getting better and better every vintage!
Dark ruby red color, and beautiful aromas of wild berries, cacao and dried fruit. You have to let this wine breathe for at least an hour or decant it. It will reward you with an excellent balance and layers of great flavors. On the palate it reminded me of black cherry, raisins, black currant and blackberries. Some spices from oak and herbs in undertones.
Tannins are velvety and acidity is just right. Perfect wine for food pairing for under $ 20.00. It is a very consistent quality in comparison with previous vintages. A lot of wine drinkers will appreciate this. No matter which wine you chose from Allegrini, this Valpolicella house will never disappoint you!
Dry – Off dry – Medium sweet – Sweet
Light – Medium – Full body
No oak – Aged in oak
Retail price: around $ 20.00
Ideal food pairing:
Rich Italian dishes, sausages and peppers, Lamb burgers, stews, I had this wine with a Beef Chorizo (it definitely stood out to this rich dish as well), Flank steak with shitakee sauce,Easy pork chops with onions and peppers and many more